DALLAS, TX September 15th, 2020—Over half (59%) of healthcare providers have experienced a decrease in income due to COVID-19, according to a recent survey. Physicians and advanced practice clinicians reported an average of 22% decrease in income compared to 2019. The survey is The Medicus Firm’s annual Practice Preference & Relocation Survey and is comprised of 2,464 responses from physicians and advanced practice clinicians across multiple specialties.
Other healthcare provider insights from the survey are:
- 57.6% of healthcare providers are ‘not very likely’ or ‘definitely NOT making a career change’
- 38% of in-practice providers prefer to work in communities of less than 100,000 in population
- Top 5 specialties reporting a decrease in income from COVID-19 are Family Medicine, Anesthesiology, Internal Medicine, Emergency Medicine, and General Surgery
- 65% of providers stated they work over 40 hours a week
- 5.8% state that telehealth is the most appealing practice setting
The 17th annual Practice Preference & Relocation Survey was conducted by The Medicus Firm in June & July 2020, via a third-party survey program. Invitations to participate in the confidential, anonymous survey were emailed to U.S. healthcare providers via TMF’s proprietary physician database and a sampling from the American Medical Association’s Physician Master File for a total of over 720,000 providers.
About The Medicus Firm
The Medicus Firm is a national search firm founded in 2001 to serve healthcare systems with clinical, research, faculty, and physician leadership roles. The goal of The Medicus Firm is to help healthcare employers grow their physician staff, advanced practice team, and patient services. As part of the M3 USA family of companies, The Medicus Firm benefits from M3's technology platform, candidate sourcing sophistication, and international physician reach. More information is available at www.themedicusfirm.com or www.usa.m3.com
Vice President of Marketing